So, I'm a lonely widow woman and I have to share my laugh for the day...
I was at Target, which is not a fun place to be with the kids; especially because I was not doing my big bi-weekly shopping trip. So, I was doing quite a bit of shopping. Plus, I was scouring clearance racks for cute dresses/Sunday clothes; and stocking up on summer jammies. Needless to say, we were a disaster! We had to start our shopping trip with cookies, it was not good.
Anyway, so I'm pulling out into the aisle with my double stroller and a packed cart. Mind you, I'm sadly only about halfway into my shopping trip. I have some laundry baskets in my cart (full of stuff, of course, how else can you buy laundry baskets....put 'em in the cart and fill 'em up!) Some little old lady stops me (she had to be at least 75)...very nice. I try to be kind to little old people, usually they just oogle over the kids then tell me something about how wonderful it is to be a young mom.
She started asking me about the laundry baskets. Starting complaining about how her husband bought the rectangular ones...they're too big...too hard to use...la, la, la...I like yours...how big are they?....She proceeds to unload my cart to see how big the baskets are. Then she pulls them out and compares them to one she had in her cart. La, la, la, blah, blah, blah...'ya know. I love people. I love to talk when I get the chance. But give me a break! If she was recently widowed and just wanted to chat, I'm in...let's go get a Diet Coke, I'll buy my kids some Cheetos...we'll talk. But to have nerve to unload my cart, whine about a husband who can't pick out a good laundry basket; and then when my kids and coming apart and screaming and crying, turn to leave and say, "these are the best years of your life!" I sure as heck hope so, if when I'm 75 my biggest worry will be laundry baskets, not the dirty laundry and everything that comes with being a young mom!
3 comments:
Great blog, Nicki! Once again, it's great to be back in touch. Your family sounds a lot like ours. We used to have three under two...more recently it became four under six.... What a fun family you have!!!
All you can really say to that story is just OH MY GOSH, seriously, little ones here, gotta get going... And unloading your stuff is really just spectacular - it's definitely what makes the story... :)
OK Nicki! That's got to be one of the funniest blogs I've read in a LONG time (though I'm SURE it was NOT funny at the time because I can only imagine you standing there with a smile on your face while gritting your teeth till they crushed into pieces...been there done that!). Thanks for sharing all your stories about motherhood. It really does help us all if we can just remember that young mothers are all in this together. You're doing great!
Post a Comment