I just want to know what kind of numbers other people work with when sending out Christmas cards. At my house, it's always seemed to be a bit overwhelming.
Do you send to friends that live close or just far away? (For me, only 'far away')
What justifies 'far away'? (Someone I don't see on a regular basis, ie: my West Bend friends are now 'far away and get cards...but then I try to do something else for my 'close' friends, like a plate of cookies)
Do you keep sending cards to people who never send you a card? (Yes, for the most part)
5 comments:
This is my first year doing them. We were at Costco and thought, "Wow, that's a good deal--let's do it!" So we got 50. It sounded like a lot. It turns out to cover our brothers and sisters, a select few Aunts and Uncles, a couple cousins, and a small handful of friends. We'll be doing at least 75 next year. I think. Also, I feel a little weird handing a picture of us to people who see us every week at church or every day at work. Cookies are better for the locals, I agree. And your last question that I remember was do you keep sending to someone who doesn't send back? I'm still too new in the game to say, really, but I think I'd keep going once I started. Thanks for the poll!
I am kind of like your friend Laura above. I haven't really done much of them until this year. I have only sent to immediate family and Grandma and Grandpas before this year, so I'm "new" to the whole thing.
We sent out about 45 this year, and we included our brothers and sisters, parents, aunts and uncles, some cousins, and friends we don't see much. We didn't do any for the locals, except Mel and Jason :). For our friends and neighbors, I went totally lazy and bought everybody a roll of wrapping paper (dollar store!) and tied a ribbon to it. Useful ... and it doesn't involve me cooking anything! What a cheater!
Although, some friends of ours brought us a plate of cookies, and their Christmas card with family picture was attached to it, and I thought that was nice too. We see them every week (or more), but it was fun to see their family picture. I might do that next year ... since they are so cheap at Costco.
Anyway ... good luck.
I like to send at least a card to everyone, but for the people far away we send a letter too, to let them know what we are up to. It does seem a little redundant with the blog, but I guess not everyone reads it. I did 60 this year. It's pretty easy, so why not? I do the photo cards and I put all my addresses in an address label file, so all I have to do is print and stick!
I do realize that not everyone has the time/desire to do Christmas cards, so I send them even if I don't get one back. They can toss it if they are avoiding me :).
We usually send out between 75-100. And usually not to local people, just friends/family far away. I love getting them, so I hope other people like getting ours.
We're not sending out cards this year, only b/c we'd be sending out birth announcements a month later, so I think we'll do a sort or combined letter/announcement after she's born.
This is really only my second year doing Christmas cards but I think that the mot important thing is to not let it get overwhelming and complicated. It is wonderful to give and receive cards, but I shouldn't become a stress. This year I sent out to all immediate family near or far. All aunts and uncles near or far. The rest get a little complicated. Most married cousins get a card. The married cousins that didn't get a card didn't get one because I don't have there address. There were a few second cousins and first cousins once removed that got cards. Also I sent to friends who don't live in the ward. As far as sending to people who don't send to me (or trying to back track and send people that sent to me that I haven't sent to) I just do what I can. I didn't keep track who did and didn't send cards last year so I can't really say. I hope this is not too confusing as I am trying to type and entertain Zach at the same time. Good luck!
Post a Comment