Monday, September 20, 2010

Sunk

I am in mourning. One of my favorite friends met an untimely demise. My camera. This past weekend, we went on a long weekend trip to a cabin on a lake. Friday afternoon we went fishing. Sadie flatly refused to keep on her life jacket while we were on the dock. She was standing next to me when she took one step too many and ended up in the lake. The entire incident was so terrifying, that the mental image of seeing her sinking; hearing Jake screaming "get her" and realizing that I was in the lake are all a memory that are one. Fortunately, she was FINE and was only in the lake for a few seconds. It was AMAZING to me that everything worked out, she doesn't seem scarred by the experience, and I was able to keep it together. I'm an overprotective momma bear, and I think that part of being overprotective is not only the fear of something "bad" happening, but my inability to react to it. This time, we were blessed, everything worked out. I was driven by instinct. I don't even remember thinking about jumping in the lake. Fortunately, Jake also followed that same instinct and would have been there had I not been there. Unfortunately, he had the camera in his pocket. The screen of my camera looks like one of those paper weights with colored water and oil, that you can tilt to make waves...
I'm so bummed. We didn't get any pictures of our trip AND after paying big bucks for a big promise "warranty" from Best Buy, I found out that "submersion" is the one and only exclusion. Ugh. Don't worry, they haven't heard the last of me. The saleslady when we bought it (we NEVER buy warranties) said ANYTHING is covered, and I specifically remember her looking at my four peanuts and saying "even if one of your kids drops it in the toilet". Sounds like submersion to me.

1 comment:

Kati said...

I heard about that, so scary!!! I'm so glad she is okay, that is intense. Hard about your camera though! I know this may sound really weird, but I've heard a few stories about people getting phones wet, and I almost think cameras too, and they put them in rice (I think?). And it fixes them? I know, sounds crazy, but maybe there's some successful google solutions out there... good luck!