I've said it before, I'm finding myself saying it again, anyone who has lived in the upper Midwest knows that hell has nothing to to with fire and brimstone. It's all about wind chills, blowing snow, and sub-zero temps. I would love a timeshare somewhere with fire and brimstone today. This week, it's been far below zero all week. So cold, that really, it's advised that you avoid going out at all. For the past two days, most of the schools have been closed. There is frost on the inside and outside of my windows. Frost collects on the metal plate at the bottom of my door (on the inside). There are all kinds of tragic stories out there about people and pets literally freezing to death. Jake told me last night, when he was coming home from work and walking to his car, it was so cold it made his eyes hurt. Honestly! It's so stinking cold. I've been trying to 'stick it out' and I just checked the weather online to see if we could get out and 'enjoy' winter this weekend, and take the kiddos sledding or something. I don't think anytime over the next 10 days it's supposed to get above 10 (without the windchills, I don't think we're breaking zero with that awful northern wind). So much for that! My kids would never enjoy it. We're supposedly setting all kinds of records, with the cold and snowfall, but watching the weather to me right now is about as enjoyable as reading obituaries. Really, you're talking about something that's so depressing and so outside of your control.
Current headlines here include:
'Residents stock up on essentials ahead of winter chill'
'Thousands lose power early Thursday morning'
'Hayward man froze while sleepwalking'
'Cold may force extension of schoolyear'
'We've reached plus degrees!'
'Garbage collection suspended in Milwaukee' (due to frigid conditions)
On the homepage of the Chicago Sun-Times, the header shows the weather at currently -2...it is desribed as 'unspeakable' (vs. sunny, partly cloudy, etc.)
Need I say more?
2 comments:
burrrr! So why is it that you live in Milwaukee again?
Oh my gosh Nicki! That is horrible! And I don't know why you live there ... I THINK YOU SHOULD LIVE HERE! Hang in there!
Post a Comment