Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Politically Incorrect

My kids are still learning the intricacies of social correctness. Ty is the worst. During church, when the men are passing the sacrament, he constantly asks (in a very loud voice) "who's going to give us the bread, the black guy or the white guy?". He is referring to the color of the mens SHIRTS (black guys wear suit jackets, white guys just have on their white shirts). The more that we get him to be quiet, the more loud he gets. If were were living in Lehi, Utah, we might be able to just work around it and get away with it. But, Milwaukee is racially diverse and I swear we're going to totally offend someone; likely an investigator or new member. Honestly, Ty. I'm working with Brooklyn on understanding the differences between races without necessarily making a big deal about it. The main reason is that she insists, every time we see a cute little black girl at the park, that she wants to wear her hair the same way; with lots of clips. (So many of the girls during the summer wear their hair in lots of braids with plastic clips on the ends) I just can't begin to explain to her that she just can't do that look. Right now, she doesn't even think about the differences in skin color, which is good; but at some point I might have some explaining to do.

1 comment:

Kati said...

Yeah, that's a tricky one I bet! One way to explain it I read in a book for one of my classes I really like. The author, who is Black, had her little boy come home from preschool one day and tell her that another little boy had said that his skin was the color it was because he drank so much chocolate milk. ;-) She explained that the actual reason was because he had a lot of something called melanin in his skin, and that's what made it that color. I was chatting with some friends about that today and how that might work, one way to explain to kids.

Thanks for your voicemail! I hope you got mine too. It's so crazy, I'm pretty excited, but it hasn't quite hit me yet...