Friday, November 20, 2009

Like Mother, Like Daughter, and so it goes

I've been a rotten blogger lately, but I did want to post something of note that made me laugh. Brooklyn's b-day was a few weeks ago; and she was supposed to take birthday treats to her school class. After contemplating letting the grocery store bakery make our goodies for me, I guilted myself into feeling like a "good mom" would make homemade goodies. So, I referred to one of my wonderful friends (Google) to try to come up with some fun, simple cupcake ideas. I won't go into boring details, but I spent way too much valuable time planning cupcakes for a 5-year old to take to Junior Kindergarten. After I completed my cupcakes (which did end up being adorable (and very simple) thanks to butterfly shaped gummies that I found at my local grocery), I called my Mom to tell her. After all, I remember when I was young, my mom often stressed about what for me to take to my class (yes, I remember this, maybe it had something to do with having a birthday 5 days before Christmas). Anyway, I related to her how funny I thought it was that she always stressed about silly b-day treats; and now I was stressing. She then related to me a story about my Grandma's mother, regarding the same thing. As the story goes, my great-grandma was up all night, burning batch after batch of candies on a wood stove for my grandma to take to her school class. It's hilarious to me to see the commonalities of women of all generations. Gluttons for punishment we are, and it's apparently either genetic or a trait that follow the female sex in general. Next time I pull an all-nighter for the sake of being a "good" mom/wife/friend/church member/nut case/perfectionist/over-achiever; I will remember that I am in good company and that it's nothing new!

2 comments:

Katelin said...

That's funny. I have definitely found myself more stressed over things for my kids than I ever imagined I would be. Like, why was I so nervous for the Primary Program? Seriously!

Melanie said...

You want to know something funny... out here we aren't even "allowed" to send in homemade treats to the classrooms. For birthdays or parties or whatever, they are all supposed to be prepackaged from the store, something about food safety. So Landon is taking various colors of Airheads to his class tomorrow. Not to say that there aren't other things that I have seriously stressed out about-- okay a lot of them--- but we luck out with the birthday school treats here.