Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Firsts

I am currently six weeks into training for my triathlon; with six weeks to go. Wow. I'm so not ready. Good thing I have six weeks.

Yesterday I swam/floated in open water for the first time. I have this thing with lakes and weeds...what the heck am I doing swimming a triathlon? I was pleasantly surprised that swimming in weeds bothered me much less than just wading in weeds like I do when I take the kids to the beach. It stunk when I was the last one in my group to finish swimming my practice 400m and they all cheered for me. It was awesome that I did it, and I got some awesome tips. When I workout, I am so not a gym girl; I would like running and biking outside anyday over the gym. I now feel the same way about the pool vs. open water. There were lots of other swimmers and it was just fulfilling to be a part of something. I may be super slow, but I know I can finish my swim portion of my race. That's okay.

Today, I worked out and did my first "brick". Thus far, in my training, I have only been doing one thing a day (ie: run, bike, swim). Today, I tried running after biking; just to get a feel for my tri. Getting off the bike and running after biking for over an hour was tougher than I expected.

I'm just glad I have more time to train...I'm getting excited. It's fun to have something to work towards.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

Keep up the awesome work! Sounds like such a challenge, but a rewarding one, too.

Katelin said...

Look at you! That is so awesome!

Jodee Luke said...

That is so impressive! Keep it up!