It was cool just waiting on the beach for the race to begin. They had lifeguards in a canoe and on a jetski. They had people in the water. The coastguard had a tough looking boat there. Yet heading out into the water was intimidating. We woke up to a slightly cold, rainy morning. In fact, I had my wetsuit on more than 30 minutes before race time, just to keep myself warm. Lake Michigan is always cold, and the storm had made it a bit choppy. When it was my group's time to go, they said "ready, set, AFLAC! (in that quackly duck voice). Funny.
We headed into the water. It was so cold, all of my training seemed to be a waste. I couldn't stand to put my face in the water. It was also my first real experience swimming in a group. There were so many people packed so tight, it was good that a lot of the swim was over a sand bar, and most of us ended up walking some of it. I was a bit panicky. My heart was racing and I just couldn't seem to get into a sync. Nerves, plus cold, plus swimming in a group I guess. It was over soon enough. My family didn't catch pictures of my start (I'm waiting for photos from a friend). They did catch my exit.
More later....
4 comments:
Way to go Nicky! You are my HERO! I think its great that you take the time to train and race, I am sure that it is not easy to find time in your busy life! Keep up the good work! See you in a couple days.
Love, Dad
Wahoo!!!! Can't wait to hear the rest of the details!!!
AWESOME!!! I'm so proud of you! Seriously - you have NO IDEA how impressed I am. Can't wait to hear more about it ... and see pics of course. :) I miss you already!
Nicki- you are my hero! I am proud to know you and so impressed with how hard you worked. Way to go!
Post a Comment