Thursday, January 27, 2011

Are You Smarter than a Kindergartener?

Apparently, I'm not. (Please, don't tell Brooklyn)

Today, she was working on some schoolwork at home. She has been sick and was getting bored so I picked up some stuff from her teacher. In class, she has been learning about bears. One of her assignments that she brought home was to write "all that she knows about bears". Okay, we can handle that.

She started off with basic stuff, like that bears eat berries, other animals, etc. She elaborated on the fact that they eat a lot during the spring, summer, and fall; as there isn't food in the winter. Then, of course, bears hibernate.

Then, she comes into me and asks:

"Mom, there are eight kinds of bears (proceeds to tell me her list), but I only have six. What are the other two?"

I confidently answered: "How about grizzly bears?"

Brooklyn said: "No Mom, grizzly bears are a type of brown bear. I have brown bears"

Uhhhh...she's gotta be wrong here, right? I mean, eight kinds of bears? Sun bears? What kind of stuff are they teaching my daughter at school?

THANK GOODNESS FOR GOOGLE (and a big dose of humility)

Yes, in fact, there are eight species of bears. Yes, grizzly bears are a type of brown bear.

I saved face because I didn't have to scramble, I was already on my computer. Just confirming what I already know, right? I am a mother. I am an unending fount of knowledge and a college graduate.

Duh. Maybe not.

No comments: