Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Athletic Wear Vs. Pajamas

I swore after my last pregnancy that all excuses for going out in public in fleece pants or yoga pants were over.

I kept to it, for awhile.

Then, I did my first triathlon; and my first 10K. At each of these events, I got a cool "hey, look what I did!" T-shirt. They are not special or dressy T-shirts. They just have print that proves that I did something somewhat athletic.

Yesterday, I broke my rule. I went out in public in my beloved fleece pants, while wearing my running shoes and my T from my triathlon. I didn't feel bad. I didn't feel like I was guilty of being the mom who wears sweats in public. I wasn't wearing sweats, I was wearing workout clothes. I'm not lazy, I'm so athletically inclined that I can't even wear jeans.

How hypocritical. I have become "that" mom. The stereotypical mom with disheveled kids and more disheveled self. Shame on me.

Does it help that I was on my way to the doctor? Does it help that I currently have a baby with an ear infection, one with the stomach flu, one with croup, and one with a sinus infection? It probably doesn't help that I wasn't wearing makeup because I have an eye infection that I picked up from one of my kids.

Sigh.

Maybe next week.

4 comments:

Kirk said...

Hang in there! Wear what you feel good in, life is to short to worry about the little things!

Sylvia said...

I wear sweats in public because they're super sexy. You didn't get the memo?

Jodee Luke said...

Isn't that the beauty of not living in Utah though? I mean as long as you don't have WI Badger pjs you'll be fine. Seriously though, I wear comfy clothes 24/7, the problem is I don't feel bad one bit!

Becky said...

If there is anything thing I have learned from being a mom it is to never judge :) For example, I have thought before I will never let my kids go out in public with food and dirt on there clothes and faces. One day the the grocery store I look at Zach and yep I am that mom :) There have been a million other times when I have to eat my own words. Besides you are so cute and so are your kids that you totally pull off the athletic look that makes the rest of us jealous.