Thursday, March 1, 2012

So, so behind

In the past year, with three kids in school (at least for part of the day), I've finally been able to catch up a bit on my life and the mess I've made over the past 7 years since Brooklyn was born.  My house is reasonably clean, everyone has clean underwear (I hope they're wearing it!), my stacks and stacks of "to do" papers to read, file, etc (think the old comic "Cathy") are gone.  The lone remaining item on my "to do" list is "update blog".  I honestly have been avoiding it.  Where am I to start?  I don't want to miss recording all that I haven't blogged about, but diving into a big "catch up" project is less appealing that cleaning the bathroom.  So, here's a start.  I have been journaling tidbits on my phone...just so my children's lives are not forgotten.  Here are some entries from last month:

Tuesday, January 31
I used an elevator marked "handicap access only". I figured that a mom alone with four kids fits within those guidelines.

Today, Jack hid in bedroom and was fake sleeping in Ty's bed.  He makes these cute little snoring sounds and loves having me find him.

Ty cried when I told him "the truth" about Groundhogs Day.  He was so confused about multiple groundhogs, how groundhogs see their shadow, how they know whether they saw their shadow, and how they control the weather based on what they see.

Jack said "bless you" when I sneezed

Thursday, February 2
Things I do for my kids...stood outside for 30 minutes with Jack and Sadie to wait for "Wynter" the groundhog at the zoo.  Brooklyn was in tears earlier in the day about not seeing it because of school, so I went to film it for her.  Apparently, it's not usually a huge event but it was packed.  Met someone doing second groundhog.  He got up at 4am to see the first groundhog.  Wynter predicted an early spring.

Brooklyn is annoyingly confident about being right and keeps talking about "PHuxatony Phil" (with a ph combo making an "F" sound, rather than just a "p".  Correction just makes it worse and she says it more.

Friday, February 3
I found a bulb coming up in my yard today.  Super early for Wisconsin.  Fingers crossed.

Sunday, February 5
Ty: "Brooklyn is trying to take away my agency!"

My baby turns two. Mixed feelings.  Surreal.  Sad.  Relieved.  Optimistic.

Tuesday, February 7
Jack was walking around the kitchen poking everyone with a straw he was holding in his mouth.  When I took it away to avoid a self-inflicted tonsillectomy, Jake asked me if I was tired.  He pointed out I was too tired to see how cute/funny Jack was being.  What else do I miss?

Thursday, February 9
If you're thinking of buying self assemble valentines at the dollar store, don't.

Jack's 2-year well children doctor visit.  All is well, except his "baba" (pacifier).  He only takes it at night.  The pediatrician wants it gone.  The dentist told me a few weeks ago he can have it until he's three.  Doctor vs. dentist...Jack and I side with the dentist in the jaw department.

Friday, February 10
Good mom moment yesterday--Brooklyn was at girl scouts.  I was in the dining room with the other kids.  Jack was happily coloring a picture while sitting in his high chair.  I was simultaneously making a paper chain of hearts for valentines day , while walking Ty and Sadie through a game of Battleship.  No fighting.  No crying.  Joy.

Mothering bliss was lost walking to car from school in 20 degree weather (plus wind, plus snow)

Monday, February 13
Jack fell asleep in the car on the way home from a playdate.  We are sitting in the driveway.  Sadie is playing Leapster, I'm using my phone.  Guilt-free screen time...on the heels of a fun outing.

Tuesday, February 14
When the kids came home from school to sort their valentines, I warned them to be careful as to where they open them; and to not leave them where Jack could find them.  Only a few minutes later, Ty left the table and his stash.  Jack climbed onto the table, rifled through the candy, chose a few, and stuffed them down his shirt.  Then he ran.

Wednesday, February 15
How is it that a baby truly knows when you are down to the last diaper--having pillaged the house, the church bag, and the car?  Manages to go through four times the normal amount of diaper changes, forcing a trip to the store in the aforementioned "last" diaper.

Ty:  "Daddy is taller than Mommy, and Mommy is HUGE!"

Sunday, February 19
Sadie cried at church today.  Her primary teacher wasn't there.  Apparently, not only had Sadie drawn a picture for her, but she had picked out an outfit based on her teachers supposed favorite colors.  She was crushed.

Tuesday, February 21
Brooklyn: "Mom, were you a kid in 1865?"  She asked me in the last 5 minutes of a super hard workout routine...I was feeling old, but not that old.

Brooklyn learned about the Civil War at school.  She came home happy that Lincoln had helped the north win the war.  She was sure that Utah had been a "southern" state, and that if we'd lost the war, she wouldn't be able to see her grandparents in Utah.

Sunday, February 26
Jack loves boxes.  Cake mix boxes, macaroni boxes, shoe boxes.  Begs for them and then runs around the house with them, carrying cars and shaking the box.

Tuesday, February 28
Today I was cleaning, getting ready for someone to come over to my house.  I vacuumed the living room, then went into the bathroom to wipe it down.  When I came back into the living room, Jack had opened the vacuum, taken out the vacuum bag, and was proceeding to dump the contents all over the floor.

Jack eats PB&J sandwiches inside out.  Eats only insides, leaves the bread on his plate.

No comments: