Thursday, August 28, 2008
A first time for everything...
Today was my first real Harley experience. Yeah, I did go to the museum. But there was a certain difference in what I did tonight. Jake had to staff the 25th HOG Anniversary (HOG="Harley Owners Group") as part of Harley's 105th Anniversary party. Basically, I went to a big party down at Miller Park. The parking lots that are normally used for baseball games were packed with Harleys. (It was hard to find a place to park my huge 7-seater "cage") It was an amazing sight; I wish I hadn't forgot my camera. There was food, of course; vendors selling biker "stuff", and concerts. Admittedly, I went only for three reasons. One, I wanted to get out of the house. It's Thursday night, my night to get a sitter...she didn't come last week and this week I was dying to get out. Two, Sugarland. Sugarland was performing tonight. I think they are amazing. I love their sound and thought it was be fun to see a concert. I was not disappointed. It was awesome. Third, and my primary reason, PEOPLE WATCHING. In this, I was very pleased. The Harley crowd is exactly (somewhat exactly) what you expect. Big, tough, burly, beer-drinking bikers. Although, may I clarify something I have learned about this group. Most of them are fitting of this description. When Jake first mentioned that going to these types of events (ie: Sturgis, Daytona Beach etc) was part of his "job", I was slightly dismayed. I pictured hunky, burly biker guys with big-busted, beautiful, blonde biker chicks. I imagined him staffing an event where half of the crowd was topless and looked like Victoria's Secret models. So jealous. Duh. Honestly, what was I thinking? Is there any segment of the population that has such a predisposition to be good-looking? Not really. I guess it may surprise you, as it did me, that the biker crowd is somewhat aged. Not old, but not what I had imagined. There is a great deal of rough and tough, but not as much "glamour" as I had imagined. I dunno. It's hard to explain. Nonetheless, it was a fun experience to be had...add it to the bucket list, right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
What a cool experience! And definately an event to ditch the kids for. Sounds like it was a lot of fun. Maybe something I'll have to try sometime.
Cool, Nicki! I've seen a few bikers myself and not on purpose. It's amazing how they've kind of 'taken over' the city and its streets. It's actually kind of cool. Only in Milwaukee. :)
P.S. I didn't know you were a country fan. Or did I? I'm a HUGE fan of Keith Urban.... :)
That's so funny about the biker women...I've seen those Harley catologs with the busty ones but don't think I've seen even one in real life this week. Is it rude to say they are really leathery?
Post a Comment