Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Cutting Back
Since Brooklyn starting going to preschool, we've been able to cut back a lot on TV time. It has been a huge blessing. I think it was just the change in routine that motivated me to turn off the tube. What's nice, is that now it is MORE effective at entertaining the kids when I absolutely need a minute to have a conversation on the phone or make dinner etc. Whatever we were doing before just wasn't working. Honestly, why put them in to watch TV so that you can get something done, when every two minutes someone is coming in and needing you...might as well not watch TV. It wasn't that we were huge TV viewers ever to begin with. But when Ty was able to recite, verbatim, one of those creepy "I see dead people" (dead zones) commercials from Verizon, I knew we had to cut back. So far, it's working out okay. I'm finding myself turning to it more now that the weather is turning for the worse, but I'm trying to keep a balance and not overuse it. Somedays, I wish they could just watch it ALL DAY...but that wouldn't be good for anyone (well, I guess it would be kind of a break for me....) I'm certainly not posting this to say that TV is awful or to condemn anyone for how much/little TV they watch. I'm finding it's a personal thing, and I'm just better when I am aware of how much we are watching.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Good for you! I have noticed this at my house, too, a little bit, but we're still working on it.
It's ironic that you posted this because just this week we have cut waaay back on TV too. I've noticed the same thing. Carter and Tommy are much more entertained by playing and exploring than just sitting and staring at the tube. Way to go!
Post a Comment