I'm in a quandary this holiday season. One of my favorite holiday traditions is giving and receiving Christmas cards. I have a "special" place where I put all of them up; I can see them regularly and I am reminded of how blessed I am with beloved family and friends across the country. Everyone has their own set of "rules" regarding Christmas cards. Some people, send them to everyone. Some people (like myself) send them to friends and family who are not "close". ("Close" is somewhat relative, as I send cards to members of my church congregation in West Bend Wisconsin, only about 25 minutes away. For me, "close" friends are those that I see on a regular basis; and I make goodies for them instead of a card.) Anyway, card worthiness is certainly an issue in friendship; especially when most of us have many "friends", due to the ease of reconnecting online.
This is where I get to my peeve. I've received several email Christmas cards this year. Love ya friends, but can I say, tacky? Am I not worth the buck or so it would cost you to print and mail a card? How am I supposed to reciprocate? Do I keep you on my Christmas list, or do I create a list of bottom-tier friends for whom our relationship is strictly digital? What do I do with an email card? Am I supposed to print it out myself and put it with my other cards? What about people who have emailed me that I wasn't planning to mail? Is it the same as when I get an unexpected card in the mail and then reciprocate? Do I just hit "reply"? There are no easy answers, although if you get a digital card, you will know that you have been put on my "bottom-tier" list. Am I off on this, or does doing a digital card ruin all of the fun? I just can't help but ask myself, "did they send cards to their 'better' friends?"
5 comments:
I know I'm a guilty one who sent you a digital card. Don't feel less worthy by me, though, since it's the same thing my siblings, aunts and grandparents all got. I just didn't have the energy or time this year; can you blame me for one year? I love ya and totally get where you're coming from, though.
No offense taken...I should have added a note about people who have a REASON to go digital. A new baby would put you in that category. I hope I didn't make you feel bad. Something must have happened, I don't have your card.
I saw your post title on the bloglist of a friend. Had to go there. Funny. I was going to do a Christmas card post on my blog...but NO WAY NOT NOW! (Deep down I knew it was tacky.)
That is all, I'm done invading the private space of a complete stranger.
I so agree! You could not have said it better so I won't add much but I was discussing this very thing with Casey the other day! I mean really it doesn't take that much effort to send out cards, plan ahead! :)
I agree that an e-card isn't the same, but at least someone was thinking of you, right? As one who has often cut cards off my list entirely, I guess I feel the need to defend any gesture of thoughtfulness, and I'm thinking an e-card would be better than nothing.
Post a Comment