Over the past few weeks, Jake and I have had several experiences that are leading me to believe that possibly my children's behavioral problems are made worse by society. While I spend much of my life trying to teach my children that they are not entitled to everything they want, those around me seem determined to thwart my efforts.
Take yesterday, for example. After a trip to the museum, Jake and I decided to take them out to eat. Really "out to eat", as in, actually eating inside an dining establishment. Typically, if we "eat out" we lean towards drive-thrus and take-out. Seriously, would you want to eat in public with my kids? Anyway, we certainly didn't choose anywhere super-nice to eat, just a hot dog shop on Marquette's campus. Baby steps. Maybe if a few times a year I take them somewhere like that, they can learn to act like real people when eating out by the time they're 15.
Anyway, so here's where it gets good. We make it into the store, help the kids decide what to order (big decision, corny dog or hot dog) and get them settled at a table. Thankfully, school is almost out and the place was quiet. After ordering, Brooklyn began to whine about wanting chips. We tried to explain that we didn't choose chips today...we had delicious hot dogs...normal parent stuff. The guy behind the counter began holding up a bag of chips for her as we spoke. Yeah, he gave 'em to her, as if the only thing holding us back from giving her chips was the dollar we would have to pay for them. Then, I went to fill up their drinks. Because water is less sticky than root beer, I had chosen to get them water to drink. As I began to fill their cups, again, Brooklyn started in on the whining, wanting soda. Before I could tell her no, the guy behind the counter said, "c'mon, they can have whatever they want!" Arggg! Lastly, as we were leaving, Ty started in on the chips again, he wanted more, or a different variety, or some crazy demand. Jake and I glared at our new friend, and kindly, but firmly, said "no chips". He went behind the counter and picked up a plate of homemade muffins and presented each of my greedy children with one! So undermining...but so "nice". What's a parent to do?
A similar thing happened a few weeks ago. Jake was at Kinkos with Brooklyn and Ty. He had to print off something for school. He had told the kids that IF they were good THEN he would buy a candy for them. They were NOT good, and as he was checking out, they were both sobbing about the loss of their treat and making promises of future goodness. He stuck to his word and didn't buy them candy. Then, the lady working there handed them a candy bar and told Jake that she wanted to buy it for them. She felt bad for them, listening to them cry. Hey lady, are you going to feel bad for them, when they become juvenile delinquents? Will you send them candy in jail? Sigh. I think it has something to do with bleeding heart college-age kids; who have no idea how much they are corrupting my kids. Good thing that the majority of my time is spent places where either I am surrounded by understanding moms (who know better than to never intervene, other than maybe to give ME a candy bar to help ME cope); and older people, who are infamous for unsolicited advice and dirty looks when my kids misbehave. Hey, I'll take it, over indulging my kids!
1 comment:
I can't believe those people did that. Aargh.
Post a Comment