Friday, December 17, 2010

Surprise!

This afternoon was one of THOSE afternoons. By 4pm, after returning from the school (after volunteering in Brooklyn's class) with a very angry, overtired baby; I decided to take action. I divided up cookies that I accidentally burnt last night, divided them into bags, and divided them up between my three big kids to go outside in the yard and "hide for the squirrels". Perfect. They were already dressed to be outside and it would give me time to feed Jackson put him down for a nap before dealing with the post-school, I have to tell you every detail of my day, I have a pile of papers for you to read, we should write a note to my teacher, I want to read my book with you, general MADNESS. So, having divided the cookies, I smugly went upstairs to feed Jack and complete my awesome plan. I was halfway done when the kids burst into the house: "Mom! Mom! You have to come see something we found!". Panic.

First thought: dead animal. Second thought: Half dead animal.
I calmly asked: "Is it alive?"
Answer: "Maybe"
Question: "BROOKLYN, did it used to be alive?"
Answer: "Mommy, you just have to see"
Question: "Can you please wait while I finish feeding Jackson?"
Answer: "No Mommy, really, you need to come see this, or it might disappear soon"

AHHHH!!! It must fall into that barely alive category! My kids have found some half dead possum or chipmunk or rat or maybe a squirrel. Apparently, it's still mobile...how I am going to clean up?...AHHHH!!! I am a huge germaphobe. Thoughts of rabies and haunta virus and other crazy animal illnesses are going through my mind.

So, I quickly put down Jackson, who was not impressed as he wasn't done eating and tried to calmly race down the stairs.

At the bottom of the stairs, I rounded the corner, glanced into the kitchen at my overly eager children and saw...

A sled. Full of ice. Sitting on my kitchen floor. Almost ready to "disappear" and not alive and not used to be alive. Just ice. Apparently, the kids were excited to find that their sled had filled with snow, melted and subsequently was filled with a large slab of ice. They had all worked to drag it into the kitchen to show me their find and ice skate in the kitchen.

Thank goodness.