Sunday, November 29, 2009

Pushing Excuses

I'm able to attest to the fact that some behaviors (such as pushing and hitting) must be nature, not nurture. Despite my best parenting attempts, my kids often are use brute force to express themselves, and sometimes, I'm not even sure they're expressing any deep emotions or opinions, but maybe just knowing how good it feels to have some power.

At any rate, I've heard some fabulous excuses this weekend for pushing.

Yesterday, Brooklyn pushed Ty and said: "I wasn't pushing him, I just went through him!" She was emphatic about the difference and positive that her argument was sound.

Today, Ty was standing at the top of the stairs with Sadie and pushed her. I'm seriously paranoid about one of the kids getting pushed down my long flight of hardwood stairs, so I immediately reprimanded him. He then replied, "I wasn't pushing her, I was strapping a rocket on her back". Seriously? He almost had to be to come up with something so creative.

At least Ty and Brooklyn make excuses, trying to cover up misdeeds. Sadie, on the other hand, is 23 1/2 pounds of pure attitude. She pushes everyone, including Jake and I, much more often than any of the other kids. She doesn't make excuses, she never denies it, but confesses as if she were fully justified. What's a mom to do? I'm thinking about pushing back a bit!

3 comments:

Katelin said...

A rocket. Wow. That's a good one.

Melissa said...

A rocket? Seriously?!! That is awesome. I'd be a bit inclined to push back I'm sure. It happens to be a good way to get someone's attention and show your strength and power. Ha ha! Just kidding. At least I don't have to wonder where my kids get it ...

Tiff said...

Strapping a rocket... love it... I may have to use that somehow! Can I borrow it, Ty? Happy holidays to you guys up north!