Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Hooray for a New Week!!!

So, to say the least, last week wasn't really the best. When I saw my OB on Friday, he asked me how I was doing (emotionally). It was hard to get a real clear picture of how I'm doing. Yes, I did spend a good part of my week with tears; but a good part of my week was just not so peachy.

On Wednesday, Brooklyn has "early release" and gets out of school one hour early. That day, I went at my regular time to pick her up, and I immediately knew something was amiss when I got to the school and I didn't have to run over anyone to find a place to park. I realized what I had done, and rushed into the office of the school to find Brooklyn. The secretary was useless, and said that any kids that don't get picked up go to the lunchroom. I have a daughter in junior kindergarten, she doesn't even eat lunch, I don't know where the lunchroom is. She rolled her eyes and explained it to me. When I got there, Brooklyn wasn't there either. Panic set in at that point. Another teacher told me some kids had been sent to yet another room. Thankfully, it was there that I found Brooklyn and she was with a teacher's aide that I know from her classroom. Of course, the combination of stress, relief, embarrassment, joy, stupidity, and anger (why didn't someone CALL me?) collided and I burst into tears. Fortunately, Brooklyn was the bigger person in the situation, and she was fine.

The next day, as I was dropping her off for school, I stepped out to help her out of the car and onto the sidewalk. I left Sadie and Ty in the car, it was still running (after all, I was just stepping out). Anyway, the doors locked behind me; with kids, purse, cell phone, and keys all locked in the car. Again, the tears came rolling in and I borrowed a cell phone to call Jake. Jake being the smart one between the two of us (and the smart alec) pointed out that I could instruct Ty how to unlock the doors. After a few minutes of screaming and gesturing in sub zero temps, I was back inside my warm car with my kiddos.

Then, here's the kicker, and absolute salute to my stupdity/bad week. On Saturday morning, I was making oatmeal. I took it (piping hot) out of the microwave, and sat it on the counter. It fell off of the counter and the oatmeal landed on my foot. Of course, I got serious burns all over my foot. It was incredible pain. I'm not a screamer, but I was screaming trying to get the oatmeal off. We didn't want to have to go to the doctor, mainly because I hate it when they say, "yeah dummy, your burnt your foot, keep cool compresses on it...take a few tylenol..etc". Often, a doctors advice is not worth paying for. Anyway, we were putting cool compresses on it and it was still killing me. About an hour later, I was trying to relax in a recliner, and I started to feel faint and nauseated; then I blacked out. Jake at that point decided to take me to the ER. On the way, I continued to feel awful, and managed to throw up all over myself...so embarrassing when I went to the ER.

They treated my burn in the ER, and fortunately were able to give me fluids, meds for nausea, and meds for pain (and a tetanus shot too...ouch...still hurts today). After treating my burn (all they could do was get me out of pain and put on antibiotic cream and bandages...they supposedly have awesome burn cream, but they can't give it to pregnant ladies)...they did an EKG and checked my vitals to see if they could see why I blacked out. Then, I had to go up to their Labor and Delivery unit to have the baby monitored for a few hours (he was fine). In the end, they think that I blacked out for two reasons: one, sheer pain; two, the position I was sitting in may have put the baby on one of my veins and temporarily blocked bloodflow to my brains.

What a story! It's not funny yet, but I'm sure it will be someday. The best question of the day (from the ER doc): "Were you wearing shoes when this happened?" (Duh dude, check out those second-degree burns covering the top of my foot...whaddya think?). He then replied, "You probably would not have been burned so badly if you had been wearing shoes" (Thanks man, you rock. Did you have to go to med school to dispense awesome advice like that? I somehow missed that on the package of oatmeal I was preparing that I should have protective footwear)

Fortunately, I'm getting better (me and my prescription pain killers). I'm hoping for the best this week. On a happy note, I heard a Christmas song this morning that really put me in tune with the season, and maybe took out some of my frustration from last week. After all, last year, it was on December 19 (one day before my 30th birthday, 6 days before Christmas) that I experienced a miscarriage. The song "Where are you Christmas?" really hit home for me last year; as I had a hard time finding joy in the holiday when I was in so much physical and emotional pain. When I heard that song again today, my kids were somewhat happily eating lunch together, and the pains and aches of pregnancy and burns seemed somehow insignificant. Christmas is here.

9 comments:

Linda said...

You may not be laughing about it yet, but I am. Just kidding, just at the part about the doctor's advice and the protective footwear.
I was super late picking up Carter one time and he had to wait in the office. I rushed in frantically and was apologizing like crazy. He didn't even know I was late. I guess we get some sort of break before they really get it. I hope that things look up for you! Let me know if I can ever help. We are usually out and about in the mornings, but we are here almost every afternoon if you ever need to drop Ty off or anything. Seriously. Call me.

Jenni said...

Oh, Nikki, I'm so sorry. It takes a lot less than that for me to cry. Hope you have a better week this week. I laughed about the footwear thing to. I will make sure my shoes are up to OSHA standards the next time I make oatmeal.

Melissa said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I CANNOT believe all of that! How awful. My foot is hurting right now reading this story - AAAHHHH!!!! Horrible. You have a good attitude girl. Hang in there! I wish I was there with you to help out, and we could laugh together about that moron doctor. Give me a BREAK!

Sylvia said...

AAAAAAA, what a week! I'm so sorry! And sorry to laugh at your mishaps, but I kind of did through the whole thing. But only because it's all something I would totally do. I hope your next week is a lot better!

Melanie said...

Oh, Nicki- you are my hero! This week will come in handy next time you are swapping stories. This week tops them all!

Melinda said...

I'm sorry I didn't even know! The shoe thing was hilarious, though; what a nerdy thing to ask. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know. See ya tomorrow's field trip!

Becky said...

Wow! I am so sorry that you had such a bad week! I don't know if it could be much worse this week.

Unknown said...

You poor thing!!! You need a vacation!!

Hope your foot feels better soon!!

Katelin said...

Why the tetanus shot? Just to add insult to injury? Those KILL!! And burns KILL!! Man, what a week. Wish I could pop over and make you some brownies or something. Hope this week has been better.