




This week, we had an amazing experience. Jake's former mission president, who now lives in Guadalajara, was able to come with his wife and visit us. They were touring some of the church history sites and hit our house between visits to the Palmyra area (Buffalo, New York) and Nauvoo, Illinois (northwestern Illinois LDS church history sites). They had quite an adventure finding our house and arrived at 4:30am early Tuesday morning (or late Monday night, I guess depending on how you look at it). The next day, we recovered and they also went to the Harley plant and the lake. That night, we took them to a Brewers game. (Coincidentally, it was a great game...I think we hit 6-7 home runs...shut out Toronto). Our kids took quite a liking to them (yes, even Sadie). They, in turn, loved to spend time with blond-haired, blue-eyed kiddies (isn't it ironic? I think Hispanic babies are off the charts adorable compared to red, wrinkly, bald white babies!) Anyway, we had fun at the game. The next day, we headed down to Chicago. We were able to see the Sears Tower and Millenial Park. We also made a stop at the LDS temple in Chicago. We enjoyed having them visit so much! Jake, despite his unnecessary worry, was able to pick up his Spanish and have no problems. I was able to keep up with what was being said and communicate what was necessary...sadly, couldn't say much beyond that. The whole experience was so humbling. My family would visit Mexico when I was growing up. I was always humbled by the people and the poverty. I got that feeling again. His mission president is middle-class; but certainly doesn't enjoy what we have as Americans. I also was reminded of my love for the Mexican people. They are so warm, gracious, and loving. They are such an amazing example to me; their love of the Gospel and the Savior shone so brightly! We made some awesome memories!
No comments:
Post a Comment