Friday, June 27, 2008

Our week...rabbits, berries, sunburns

What a week! It's been a busy one, but pretty good all and all. My only qualm about this week is our rabbit problem. I have some beautiful roses and asiatic lilies that I just put into my garden. I spent three hours trying to pull out some lilies of the valley to get them in; now the rabbits are thinking all my new flowers are fine dining. Jake has been at school for the past two nights, since the beginning of the infestation; so I haven't really come up with a solution. Out of desperation, last night I sprinkled a mixture of onion powder, garlic powder, cayanne pepper, red pepper flakes, black pepper and dried mustard. It didn't work; though I'm thinking when I come up with a solution, those ingredients will make a fine rabbit stew...
This week, we also went strawberry picking. The kids of course, loved it. Luckily, they only weighed the strawberries that we picked; they did not weigh the kids on the way in and out. Ty was covered head to toe, strawberry juice dripping off of his elbows. The strawberries were fabulous. I'd love to brag that I made strawberry pies and homemade jam, but this time I just chose to freeze them for smoothies. Really, we were into strawberry picking for the adventure.
Also, we had fun with the Chaplins' this week playing in their backyard waterpark. Brooklyn got her first sunburn, and has been diligent about making sure that I apply "ocean" (lotion) to make it feel better. Surprisingly, the sunburn has had the ability to migrate all over her body...she has places that she claims are hurt and sunburned that were covered up completely.
This week, Sadie did awesome at therapy. Thanks to the Gils' (Jake's mission president); Sadie decided that strangers aren't so bad. Guess it was a realization for her that if she goes to a new person, other than mom, she's actually more likely to get more attention than mom can give her. SO, after almost four months of physical therapy, this was THE FIRST week that she didn't cry the entire time. We had some tears at the beginning, but she actually enjoyed the one on one attention from me and her therapist once we got going. She is making improvements and gaining weight (I think) and honestly, for the first time, I'm pretty sure we have a normal baby. We would have loved her to death either way, but I am nonetheless grateful if we won't be facing developmental delays her entire life. It's funny to have your baby have problems, I've had to learn how basic movements that we take for granted happen. For example, right now one of the things Sadie is working on is learning to go from crawling to sitting up. There are so many steps and muscles involved in it. Our bodies are amazing. The fact that our bodies do what they do without a hitch most of the time is truly a miracle. Modern medicine is also miraculous; the ways we are able to help out nature when things go wrong...
I'll have to post pictures later...good week

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear Sadie is doing better! Our bodies really ARE amazing!!

Laurie said...

First, great big high five for Sadie! That's awesome!
You can buy repellent to keep away animals like deer and rabbits. I don't know how well they work, but I know you can get some at Home Depot and I'm sure Lowes too.

Melissa said...

Yeah Sadie! Way to go! Now that she likes other people, I guess I'll have to come for another visit. Maybe I can even hold her facing me and not pretend that I'm you and try really hard to not to talk or laugh so she doesn't realize who is holding her. What a smart little girl she is!

We've been going a little strawberry crazy here too - only ours came from Costco (cheaters!). We're eating the freezer jam as fast as I can make it and having strawberries and cream way more often that we should. Yum!!!