Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"These Is My Words"

I just finished the best book that I've read in a long while. It is called "These Is My Words" by Nancy Turner. It is a novel, written like a diary, based on the life of a woman who settled the Arizona territory.

Here are a few of my favorite quotes:
"There is no outrunning fear, it comes on you and you have to face it" (121)
"You look like you're trying to do tomorrow's sweeping today." (173)
"We are a noisy crowd of love." (210)
"I want to be married to you, spitfire and all" (214)
"Ever notice how if you do something hare-brained and you fail you're an idiot, but if you suceed, you're a hero?...I spend all my days trying not to do anything hare-brained in the first place" (272)
"I have been so busy with cleaning and children, some days I feel worn out before I get out of bed" (289)
"It seems there is always a road with bends and forks to choose and taking one path means you can never take another one...it isn't that I'd want to not have my little ones...it's just that I want everything, my insides are not just hungry, but greedy. I want to find out all the things in the world and still have a family." (309)
"Some other part of me made up some rules about happiness and I went along without thinking" (318)
"My life is so full of wonderful things right now...Mama told me to make a special pint to remember the best times. There are so many hard things to live through..the good things will give you strength to endure" (327)
"I used to complain to myself that life was so boring, that there was too much laundry to do, too many noses to wipe. Now there are not enough noses to wipe." (364)
"I don't think I really knew my own mother until I had children..." (370)

Wonderful book! I highly recommend it if you need a good read this summer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read that book a couple months ago, so good!!! There's a sequel too, but I haven't gotten the chance to read it yet, I've heard it's not as good. Fun stuff!

Jenni said...

I'm so glad you've read this book. I think it is the best love story I've read maybe ever. I loved the quotes you pulled out of it too. I've read the next two books, and although they really aren't anything like the first book, it's nice after a while to revisit the characters in a new story. But it's true- nothing can beat the first book.