Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Red and Yellow and Blue All Over

So, for our church meeting last night, part of the activity was a personality test. I have taken this personality test several times over the course of my long little life. It was somehow more insightful this time. I remember taking these tests and almost being discouraged...when I answered the questions truthfully, I found out I was a spineless, over-emotional, basketcase. I honestly didn't like personality tests..didn't want to face the truth I guess. I realized last night, to a greater degree than before, that personality is not permanent. I have changed a lot. While most of the women talked about being a "red" A-type personality, and mellowing out and developing some of the more nurturing characteristics of a "blue" personality with becoming a mother, I found quite the opposite. I used to be blue all over...not much else. Very much ruled by emotion and wanting to please others. I think it is the combination of making it through business school, being married to a BIG red personality, and having children that has made me more "red". I am much more inclined now than ever in my life to take charge, be assertive, and sometimes, admittedly, a jerk. (Today, some teenager plowed over Brooklyn at the zoo and knocked her over, I totally chewed her out...jerk...I felt awful when the girl was embarrassed and backed off a little) What's wrong with me though? Motherhood should make me more loving, understanding, nurturing...not more driven, assertive, and bossy (ok, yeah mom, you're right...I was always a little bossy...guess it comes with being the oldest). Anyway, I guess the good news is, people can change. I still need to work on that "white" part of my personality. Its so important to me, that I don't even remember what it is. (I'm fairly balanced between the other three...red being the A-type, blue being emotional, nurturer; yellow being social lite. I still get defensive about being blue...as someone else at church described it last night, her initial description was somewhat negative (being driven by emotion, overly emotional...I don't even remember what she said). I got defensive of the fact that I AM NOT OVERLY EMOTIONAL as tears welled up in my eyes...I bit my tongue and realized case in point, "you can't fight it...to some extent this emotional, crying, part of you is a lost cause. At least I have learned to channel it. I am such a basketcase, I cry for dumb things (ie: when "Babe" with the competition at the end of the movie "Babe", when Lightning McQueen pushes King across the finish line in "Cars"...seriously, I wish I was kidding!!!) So, I guess the long and short of it is that luckily you can change parts of yourself (like me becoming more assertive) but others are hard (I now don't cry when someone at WalMart gives me a hard time about my traveling circus, I just cry at lame movies after I give the person at WalMart a piece of my mind!)

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Okay, so I know who the her in "her initial description was somewhat negative" (cough cough). Can I just say the negativity perhaps is connected to how annoyed she is at being SOOOO blue and SOOOO little of anything else. She probably always takes the test from the same perspective and could probably find she's (still blue of course) but at least more well rounded from a different light.
Enough third person.
I had heard of the Jung personality test before, but never pursued them until today. I took one at http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp. With the score I originally thought "well, this didn't do it right" but as I kept reading I was rather impressed. It really accounted for what I consider my 2 personalities, my public face vs. the interior, personal face.
A shy person can train themselves to act differently, but I doubt they don't still retain an internal shyness they suppress. Anyway, you get what I'm saying. I liked the bit more depth to this other test despite how annoyed, for many reasons, I was that I chose to do it.
Now that I've made the longest blog comment known to man, I'll stop! :)

Laurie said...

Oh, yeah, and the explanation of the types on Wikipedia was what really helped me "get" it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator

Bobbi said...

First of all, I really hate this particular "color code" personality test because way back in 1999, after "faithfully waiting" for "my missionary" for two years, the jerk came home and married the daughter of the guy who invented the color code. So in order to avenge my broken heart, I've sworn that I will always hate Dr. Hartman since his boyfriend-stealing daughter married MY missionary!! With that said, I've always scored highest in blue and white. I definitely believe that being a mother brings out the assertive side, though. I think it's the "mama bear" instinct that comes out when we need to defend our "cubs". I'm also definitely more willing to speak my mind and fight to get what I want when it comes to customer service issues lately. I REALLY get worked up when I feel like I'm being taken advantage of or not taken seriously. Then my blue & white are out the door and I'm all red, until I get home and start to bawl because even with all my fightin' words, I still didn't get my way. But I don't really pay any attention to the whole personality classification 'cause I really hate the color code guy whose daughter stole "my missionary". So lame.

Laurie said...

lol - no you didn't make me feel bad! That was me being blue and trying to show I didn't mean to step on toes if I did! :)
Oh, and I forgot to say, I'm a very red parent! I have expectations, and I don't put up with much! Period. I don't think there's anything wrong with more red when you become a parent (if you're not already super red that is, that could just become overbearing!) Kids need at least some of it!

I'll make you a deal, you bring me your kids when you're off with Sadie, and I'll bring you mine when those last appointments with *ahem* "checks" start!