Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Another Day in the Life...

This morning was one of "those" mornings. While Jack slept through the night FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER IN HIS 9 MONTHS OF LIFE, Brooklyn had an earache/sore throat and came into my room at least 8 times to ask if she could go watch TV, ask me to look at her ears (I am a nerd, I have an otoscope and know how to use it), complain, ask what time it was, etc...I was exhausted starting the day.

So, here we are. Jack is in his high chair crying, I just finished feeding him and he wants out of solitary confinement. I am fixing breakfast for the kids. I hear Brooklyn throwing up in the bathroom. I go in to help her (she's a dramatic puker...crying and puking and trying to talk to me all at the same time). In the meantime, Ty is literally pulling my pajama bottoms off trying to get my attention.

Ty! Jack is crying. Brooklyn is puking. What could be so urgent?

He wanted to know if he could eat a tootsie roll. And he needed help opening it.

I'm learning to realize that the kid is four. When he wants something, he is completely, totally oblivious to what important or not-so-important task I'm doing. It helps me be MORE patient with him, when he is hanging on me when I'm on the phone, when I'm making dinner, or when I'm feeding Jackson. Maybe it isn't obvious to him. Maybe I need to point it out.

I realized that sometimes I'm guilty of the same thing, in a different way. How many times have I been pushy or insisted that someone do something for me, listen to me, talk to me, etc; when maybe she needs help, is having a bad day, is in more need that I know, etc. None of us, I guess, really know where other people are coming from. Sometimes, we all act like four-year olds.

No comments: